tirsdag 30. desember 2008

Christmas in Alalay

After a long time away I am now ready to give an update about what is going on here in Bolivia. The last weeks have been stuffed with new experiences. Everything from spending Christmas in Alalay to a big black dog attacking me in the street.

I can tell you, spending Christmas “alone” (not with your family) is really something that I am not going to recommend. That your family call you and tell you that they are going to open the presents at home does not make thing a lot better. It made me miss home. Christmas have to be spent with the family.

Christmas in Alalay contained nothing special but a better dinner and a lot of presents. Everything was very different from what I had expected, but it was a nice experience. We ate chicken with rice and french fries. We were supposed to eat pig, but this was put away in advance of the same day chicken donation. This donation made us eat chicken day and night in different forms until this day.

The funny thing is that it is a tradition to eat at midnight between the 24th and 25th of december. You can imagine yourself 70 kids from 3 to 15 years waiting until midnight to eat. Yeah, they get tired. Really tired. Especially, when the last time they ate were 9 hours ago. Almost all of the kids below 10 years of age slept before the time passed 10 in the evening and still we were waiting. Nothing really happened. We were just sitting waiting at the table, more or less, from 9 to 12.

When we finally finished eating it was time to play with small firecrackers. It was like new years eve in Norway in small format. Really strange, but very fun.

Tomorrow is new years eve and I suspect that it will be a kind of repeated Christmas without the presents. The truth is that I really love to spend this time with the kids even though the way of celebration in Alalay is really strange for me.

Okay, I will have to tell you more later...Post to be continued...

(The charger for my mac stopped working a couple of weeks ago, that is the reason for this low activity on my blog. I am working all I can to get a new one, but it is difficult here in Bolivia. I will come back stronger later)


Here are some photos from the last week:

3 kommentarer:

Rainbow Choi =) sa...

hey Svenn! thanks for sharing - sorry to hear your Christmas was a bit lonely without being with your family... though i know those kids must've be comforted in their loneliness by your being with them so im glad you were able to spend this Christmas with them. may you experience God as you celebrate the new year also! He makes all things new... pray for that, hope for that and expect it :) prayers for you as you begin this next year with much faith.

blessings! =)

Rainbow Choi =) sa...

ps. i got attacked by a dog just a week ago in Costa Rica too! :)

Synøve sa...

Angrepet av en hund?!!! jeg hadde antakelig vært død bare av skrekk hadde det vært meg! Godt nyttår :)